Friday, January 29, 2010

ADD..and counting...

my kid is now 5 years old, he started going to school at age 3, currently he is in his 3rd school...since the beginning I was told he used to get distracted pretty easily, but, as a new mom, I thought it was just the fact of him being so young. last year at school was a real hassle, having his teacher complaining about him all the time, saying he doesnt care and gets distracted and bugs the other kids, the only thing I could think about was that his teacher was a bitch and I didnt see the time to have him out of that school.

from some time now, my mom has been telling me my kid has ADD, so I started searching on internet some of the symptoms of that disorder, kids get distracted, they would talk all the time, they would interrupt people when talking, they cant remain sitting when eating, etc, etc..

now, it was hard for me to determine if it was ADD or not, as I dont know any other kids to have as reference, so I couldnt tell up to which point it was normal behavior for a toddler or when it had turned to ADD.

the time he is not at school or at his karate classes he is alone at the house, and the TV is on all the time, even if he is not watching it he needs to have that background noise. so besides all those issues at school , doing homework was a huge fight every day, have to repeat instructions more than 3 times cause he would always forget what he was supposed to do, and he keeps doing things he has been told not to,, Ive got to the point to physical punishment ( Im ashamed I have to say more than once I lost it); we have just two days in the new school and already got a note from school, on monday he used a marker and draw lines all over his uniform tshirt and the couch...I couldnt take it anymore, and as off all the punishments I could think off have been used unsuccessfully, I thought on the only thing I have never touched for him...the TV, he has been without TV all week, needless to say he cried a lot.. A.LOT.

so this week it has been a tv-less week for both of us, but I must say, that thing was taking a lot of valuable time from us; Im ashamed I didnt want to acknowledge that, it was easier to just lay there watching cartoons than looking for something to try to get him distracted and entertained. overall I can tell it has been a good week, it even helped him with maths, he is well aware on how many days are left to be able to watch tv again. (so do I, miss to watch movies :$)

so, after witnessing how much TV was affecting my relationship with the kid and also his own development, I need to find a way to keep it away, cant make the restriction last forever. one option we have found is to let him watch tv just an hour a day and until I have come back from work so I can deal with the fight that we forecast will come when the hour is done.

but still looking for ways to help him out dealing with the ADD and reducing the TV time as much as possible, definitely, trying to deal with all these has been a lot easier now, and keeping myself in more control knowing what Im dealing with has helped a lot, also having someone to talk about this and telling me what I could be doing better takes a huge weight out of my shoulders(thanks honey!). now we read stories every night, and we are trying to follow a schedule as much as possible. gotta say, its taking a lot of work, Im so lazy and my kid has energy to illuminate a complete city for at least 2 days...but still, this week has been one of the best weeks Ive had in a long time, ( following my vacation week which was made memorable :$)

so at least for now, Im taking away the idea on having the kid on the corner outside with a sign "free or better offer"... I might even keep him ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment